The EZ-Snapshot service allows members of the Rensselaer community to store copies of personal computer files from computers running Windows or Linux, to a tape library over the campus network. EZ-Snapshot software (TSM client) must be installed on each client. The client software communicates with the Rensselaer TSM server, and transfer files to the server for storage. This service allows storage of up to two copies of each client file on the TSM server. These files can be backed up or restored from the client, without requiring DotCIO staff involvement. The backup process can also be run as an automated process.
DotCIO will provide an initial storage allocation of 20GB for each EZ-Snapshot subscriber, at no charge. This storage is measured at the server.
Each subscriber must renew their subscription by using the EZ-Snapshot client between September 1 and October 31, or client files will be removed from the server. If a client's storage usage exceeds the initial allocation on September 1, the subscriber will be billed the annual fee for the excess quota in September.
Cost of Service
Clients who exceed the initial free allocation will be charged $20 for every 5GB over the free allocation. This fee is not pro-rated and is an annual charge. Clients will be billed in the month during which the storage allocation quota is exceeded.
Terms and Conditions
- The EZ-Snapshot service is provided for a term of up to one year. The service is available from the date of registration/renewal through the following August.
- The EZ-Snapshot service is based on a software product called Tivoli Storage Manager, or TSM.
- The EZ-Snapshot service is provided exclusively for current members of the Rensselaer community, including students, faculty, staff, or department representatives.
- Rensselaer faculty, staff, students, or department representatives may not copy or distribute the EZ-Snapshot software to anyone outside the Rensselaer community.
- EZ-Snapshot is provided for computing devices directly connected to the Rensselaer network. The service is not permitted from devices connected through ISPs, or Rensselaer modem connections.
- DotCIO will endeavor to provide the Rensselaer community with the best possible EZ-Snapshot service. DotCIO cannot guarantee user files against damage or loss, which may result from media failure, fire, power failure, or other unexpected situations.
- DotCIO shall terminate a user's service under any of the following conditions:
- the user requests termination of service.
- DotCIO determines that it can no longer provide the EZ-Snapshot service. In such a case, DotCIO will provide users with a minimum 90-day notice regarding the termination of service.
- DotCIO has reason to believe that the user has violated any of the terms and conditions specified in this agreement.
- Over time, DotCIO will make EZ-Snapshot software updates available to registered clients, who will then have the responsibility of applying these updates, as needed, in order to continue using the backup service.